Sunday, April 27, 2014

Donald Sterling in Crew?

My school spends a lot of time on social and character education.  There have been many crises over the years that have come and gone that I have not talked about and somewhat regret.  The most famous was the shooting of Trayvon Martin which I just didn't know about.  We did discuss the Sandy Hook elementary shooting and the idea of teachers carrying guns in school (which I am against).

So, how should the most recent racist comments allegedly from Donald Sterling be talked about?  I know there are many of my students, especially my African American males, will want to talk about this topic.  In addition, there are the abusive relationship aspects of this recorded conversation that is worthy of conversation as well.

The question I pose is: What do other teachers do with crises like these?

No comments:

Post a Comment